Wednesday 15 July 2009

No CBBC For Me!

Hello, and congratulations to anyone who made it into the Masterclass for the CBBC opportunity! As you can probably guess from the title, I didn't get a sniff. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't even get an e-mail from the BBC to say "You're crap, give up now!" but neither did about 600 other people, so I'm in good company!

Some people got a nice e-mail stating that they'd made it through to a second reading, so congratulations to all of you. Michelle Goode got such an e-mail and while she would obviously have liked to make the final 20 it's still a huge achievement to get through to the second reading, so mega congratulations to Michelle! If there's anyone else who got through to a second reading or even got through to the Masterclass itself, then let me know so I can give you a mention!

So what's next on the agenda? Well, I'll be working on the script I submitted, as I personally think it's rather good! It does need a lot of polishing and I have to admit that I rushed it towards the end in order to make the deadline. Michelle also mentioned that it was quite an ambitious script which would probably require a large budget and as such may have not been what the BBC were looking for (that's what I'm believing anyway!)

I'm also going to finally finish my previous channel 4 script, which I will now reveal is called "Cosmic Cabs" - just so I don't have to keep referring to it as "that channel 4 script that I didn't enter in the end 'cos it wasn't right... blah blah".

Something that did cheer me up, after the CBBC failure, was that the Writersroom roadshow is finally coming to Birmingham on August 18th! It's just down the road from me (well about 15 miles) so I'm looking forward to going to that. I've already sent my registration e-mail (twice, because I couldn't work out whether they wanted my name in the subject or body of the e-mail!)

I'm writing a new spec script specifically for it. So I can take it with me to hand in personally. I don't want to take my CBBC script because I should imagine that they'll be getting a LOT of children's scripts sent to them over the next few weeks (I don't know why!)

I'm really excited about the new idea I've come up with. I've already written the outline and will be starting the first draft when I've finished this post! I don't have a title yet, but I'll let you all know as soon as I have one! It'll be a 1 hour long drama, which I don't yet have in my portfolio.

So, if anyone is going to the Birmingham Roadshow, let me know. I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow writers!

Finally, for those that haven't seen it, check out the Pavaline website for some great writing competitions. They usually charge $9.99 to enter a script, but they're currently running a free competition based on the environment. Brenda Strong of Desperate Housewives fame (she's the voice of the dead woman) will be starring in the finished film! Deadline is August 15th but this is a "Short Story" script, so it only needs to be between 5-20 pages. You also need to register on the site but it's all free, so go for it! (Thanks to someone called "Nlog" for the heads up on this - he/she left a comment a while back - don't know who they are because their profile is private... But thanks anyway!)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, join the club for not having a BBC e mail. Good that you're still looking at ways to improve the CBBC script, and good luck with the new script.

Hope you enjoy the Roadshow.

That free comp sounds good, so I'm going to have a look shortly.