Thursday 12 March 2009

Ebay affects your writing!

Well, managed to write 7 pages of my script for the Channel 4 "Coming Up" opportunity. Quite pleased with that as I didn't write anything yesterday.

I don't usually start writing until after about 10:30pm. But yesterday I didn't even do that!

I blame it all on EBay! My partner has been selling off loads of her old beauty products and we spent all of last night printing off invoices and labels, hunting for jiffy bags and boxes and then packaging everything up! I think I managed to get to bed about 2:30am! So, no writing and no sleep!

But, I'm happy today. I still started late, and as usual with any writing it takes a while to get into your stride but then I was flying!

What I love about writing is not knowing what the hell is going to happen next! It's almost like you're reading someone else's work. I have the general plot either in my head, scribbled down or nicely typed into a Word document. But what path the characters take to get where they're going, I haven't got a clue!

With this current script I don't even seem to be able to control the genre! It started off as a slightly gritty, dirty, serious tale... but somehow I've now turned it into a comedy! As I'm writing the dialogue, some stupid thoughts just pop into my head and I think "Yeah, that would be funny if he said that in response!". The next thing you know, I've turned Apocalypse Now into Good Morning Vietnam!

I think it's because I'm like that with life. If I'm at work and people are talking about serious issues, I always get stupid funny thoughts pop into my head... and they don't always stay there!

I don't know whether this script will be right for the Channel 4 thing when it's finished, but I'm enjoying it at the moment!

Thanks for the support by the way! I didn't expect anyone to read my rubbish after one post... well except Paul maybe, as I did leave a non too subtle hint in his comments!


1 comment:

Sofluid said...

It's fun to "get to know" the characters as you go along, isn't it? :)