Friday 20 March 2009

First Draft Complete!

It's done! The first draft of my channel 4 script is complete!

I didn't work on it at all on Tuesday or Wednesday.

After a long day at work on Tuesday, I was totally exhausted when I got home. I couldn't even think about looking at another computer screen!
Wednesday was a nicer reason not to do any work. We went to the theatre to watch our friends in a musical they were part of (West Side Story). Brilliant night! Ended with beer, pizza and kebab (chicken meat, not that shaved stuff!)

So, I REALLY wanted to get quite a bit done tonight. I still didn't start until after 10:00pm (what's he like eh?) but managed to get the final 10 pages done in 2 hours. I wasn't happy with the way those 10 pages were going at first. They felt out of place. But then I got into my stride again and I think it actually finished with a good ending (if that makes any sense whatsoever! Well, it wouldn't start with an ending would it? Unless you were writing Pulp Fiction or something...)

I suppose it's time to "let it lie" for a week. I shouldn't really. The deadline is in a month and there's a lot of work to be done on it! Maybe I'll just give it a couple of days...

I'll let you know what it is I've actually written once it's totally complete and on it's way to Channel 4. I can tell you that it is now more of a (slightly) black comedy drama. It doesn't start off like that, but that's how it ends up!

There's a hell of a lot of dialogue in it too! I've read many a time that characters should DO more than they SAY, but I've tried to make it easy to shoot by having the characters pretty static and the whole thiing laden with dialogue (especially from the main character). It makes sense once you know what it's about (I hope!)

I read on Mark Eastwood's blog that he's a dialogue whore too! Any thoughts anyone? (all 2 of you!)

As for other updates... there are none! I haven't heard back about my Talking and Not Talking one-liners yet. I did read on British Sitcom Guide Forums that they're still wading through the entries. Some people have had "No thank you" responses back, so no news is good news I suppose!

Oh, and finally... I saw an article (also on the British Sitcom Guide Forums - check the link) regarding writing for comics and in particular 2000AD. Sounds like an interesting thing to try. I might have a go when I have some spare time (yeah right!) You can write a 5 page script for the Future Shocks section of the comic and submit it for consideration. They probably get millions (as does everyone) but always worth a try I suppose!

Ok, I think I've written enough for one night! Time for some sleep!!!



No comments: